Sunday, August 18, 2013

I wrote this when I first got here but never posted - eek!


I arrived in Bulgaria about two hours ago. It already feels strange and overwhelming but also very exciting. Just a little bit about my day. After saying goodbye to my siblings and my cousin Sara - which I feel I may not have done that well I went to the airport with my parents. At the airport I found out that there is a weight limit for carry on - probably should have known - but sometimes I am a goof. I had to repack my carry on into my other luggage - what a mess! By the time I got to the gate I was exhausted. The flight felt super long and the stewardess mainly only spoke in Polish - culture and language shock immediately! Once I got to Warsaw things got a bit better - at the gate for my final flight to Bulgaria I met an Israeli man who works in Sofia - the capital of Varna. He gave me his card which was really nice. He does tours for Eastern Europe so he is probably a good contact to have. When I got on the flight I fell asleep immediately but at landing I spoke to the guy sitting next to me a little and he was very nice - although he did not speak much english. The guy sitting behind heard us speaking and asked what I was doing in Bulgaria. He was American and visiting his father who does missionary work in Bulgaria. He also gave me his father's information - so now I have two contacts. Once I went through costumes and everything the driver from the hotel was waiting with a sign. It was a short ride to the resort and here I am now. The resort is gorgeous! When I got to my room the other fulbrighters were in the middle of a session so I went to my room and took a shower - it was lovely! I then found my roommate for the next two weeks - she is very nice. She went over the Cyrillic alphabet with me and we talked a bit. Now I am just relaxing until dinner - hopefully I will meet more people. I still feel like a zombie and totally out of place - its hard to come late. But I am excited I am here!


This is my room in the hotel!!!! Its gorgeous!!!! 


This is the view from my balcony - is this real life?

No comments:

Post a Comment