Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My last travels within Bulgaria

This last month and a half that I have been here I have made an effort to complete my list of places to see in Bulgaria - I did not succeed so I will have to come back :)

The places I did get to were awesome!

I went to Nesseber - an ancient coastal town. The city is stunning with many ancient monuments and churches and one of the most beautiful sea coasts.






I finally visited Ruse and Erika there. Ruse is one of the bigger cities in Bulgaria. It is a really lovely place to walk around and sit and have coffee. Erika was a great tour guide and because she is the nicest it was so fun to visit with her there. And I finally got to see the Danube on Bulgaria's side!



Katy came to visit me in Varna and we went to the Alagda Monastery. It was the second time for me - but this time I had a camera. Its really cool because its built into the side of a mountain and in the time when it was used the monks would scale these really narrow stairs they made to get up.





On our way down back to civilization Katy and I did an impromptu hike - despite not being dress appropriately at all - it was really fun.















We then had dinner in Golden Sands and I got to see the resort for the first time.

The rose festival! It was really nice to go - many other fulbrighters came and it was a good chance to say goodbye to people. I stayed at Carolyn's in Gabravo - with April, Katy, Sten and Dana. We also got to see a little of Gabravo and have wine adventures in Carolyn's home.

































Finally - Carolyn came and we went to Balchik - the most beautiful place I have seen so far. The gardens are amazing and the sea coast there is small but lovely. We had such a nice day together - we did no planning just wandered to the gardens and around the gardens and then had a lovely lunch together - it was a perfect day.


 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment